The Biotechnology MA program trains students in modern aspects of molecular biology with a particular emphasis on approaches used in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. The program provides students with an advanced scientific education and prepares them scientifically for diverse careers in the Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical industries. These careers include:
- Research science positions in laboratories applying biotechnology to problems in medicine, industry, and agriculture
- Careers in regulation of drug approval and other biotechnology application
- Management positions in the biotechnology industry
- Positions at companies that are investing in biotechnology
- Working for law firms in biotechnology
The program is intended for students who would like a career in biotechnology without making the 5-7 year commitment to attain a Ph.D. The biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries are among the largest in the U.S. and there is a great demand for professionals with biotechnology expertise.
Thirty (30) points of coursework plus a Master's thesis are required for the MA in Biotechnology. The thesis includes a review of a topic in biotechnology chosen with the help of a program advisor. An intensive laboratory course in Biotechnology is required to give students hands on experience in biotechnology methods. Elective courses (five or more) are selected according to the student’s specific interests. The program can be completed by full-time students in 1 year including the summer semester or at a reduced pace by part-time students.