Requirements for Columbia College students:
Requirements for General Studies students:
Graduating with Honors
How to declare a major:
Fill out the forms for the University (either the College or GS). This is so the university can send your docket to the right department and keep track of which department has to clear you for graduation.
Columbia College Students
- Students majoring or concentrating in Biology or Related Fields
- Fill out a major declaration form and file it in the sophomore class center.
- Review the requirements for your desired major/concentration detailed in the links above.
- An abridged version for each of the biology-related majors is provided here for your convenience: Biology Major Checklist, Neuro & Behavior Major Checklist, Biochemistry Major Checklist, Biology Concentration Checklist, Biophysics Checklist. Please email Ellie Siddens ([email protected]) to go over the progress of your major completion.
- Fill out a major planning form as far as you can, using the checklist and the information in the bulletin. Include both courses you have completed AND courses you plan to take to complete your major.
- Consult the appropriate departmental advisor to discuss any variances from the normal guidelines. Bring your filled out major planning form with you to this meeting. Your advisor will then email any approved variances from the normal requirements to the biology departments administrator that will approve your major for graduation.
- For CC students majoring in Biochemistry, Biophysics or Neuroscience & Behavior (joint majors): If you are planning a joint major, you may consult an advisor in either department to plan your program. For the joint majors, both departments (e.g. biochemistry will need to be approved by chemistry and biology) will each certify the student for graduation in their part of the major.
General Studies Students
- Get the GS major declaration form from Lewisohn.
- Go to the proper departmental adviser . Students interested in designing a special program should see Dr. Mowshowitz. The requirements for the various majors are listed in the bulletin and above. Please email Ellie Siddens ([email protected]) to go over the progress of your major completion.
- The advisor will plan your program with you and fill out both a departmental form and the GS form. The advisor will NOT sign the GS form until you have gone over the requirements together.
- Take the GS form back to Lewisohn. (GS will now send your docket to your advisor.) Your advisor will keep the departmental form, and update it periodically when you come for a consult.
- For future advice, consult your advisor in person or by e-mail.